Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Fixing the toilet

In our house I am Mrs. Fix-it. Today the kids were spending the day with Grandma and their cousins so I decided to try and fix the toilet. A few weeks ago I changed the toilet rubber flapper and stopped the toilet from running and doing something called "phantom flushing". I know it all sounds so mysterious! But apparently I broke something in the process because water started dripping down the side of the tank when we flushed. When I took the lid off to investigate I found a fountain of water spraying up from a pipe-like thing that attaches to that floating ball thing. So of course I fiddled with it and made it worse. I made a temporary fix with some duct tape and went to the computer DIY sites to figure out what I need to do. Thank goodness, I found it! But now I have to go to Lowe's tomorrow and ask for something called a ballcock!!! Could they make plumbing any more uncomfortable???


By the way this is what the ballcock looks like...


1 comment:

salty c-snake said...

I was intrigued by the title of your blog title. Impressive DIY attituce. Last month john's playstation got jammed. I couldn't figure out how to even open up the part where it was jammed. So I went to Best Buy and just chatted up the guy who stands at the door and he gave me some guidance. I pulled that whole thing apart and fiddled with it until I could get it to work. I can't tell you how liberating it was to fix something on my own. Good luck with your project!!