Friday, September 26, 2008

Mortified

I got this idea from Colby and thought I'd share in my humiliation. This is the concept I took from her blog...
Has anyone heard about the project Mortified?? I saw the creator on a lat e night show and love the concept. The idea is for people to go through their written treasures from growing up-journal entries, poetry, songs, movie scripts, whatever-and perform or read them to audiences. I saw a few clip of people doing this-it's so painfully funny. This is how Mortified describes what they do:"The project began in the late 1990s when founder Dave Nadelberg unearthed a notably awkward love letter and began sharing with friends. Formalizing as Mortified in 2002 with co-producer Neil Katcher, the project has since sifted through thousands of volumes of otherwise forgotten notebooks, photos, and envelopes in an effort to crack the lid off our cultural shoebox and expose our inner geek. Participants include a wide range of people, from professional performers (comics, celebrities, singers) to total amateurs (architects, ad execs, salesmen) all in the noble pursuit of self-degradation. Personal redemption through public humiliation. There are a million stories buried in the pages of people's lives. Mortified's mission is to simply help people find them.Share the shame."




Here is my journal entry, I was 15. The spelling is really bad, but that's part of the mortification. The poem was written for Mike. What's more mortifying than adolescent poetry...Right???


3 comments:

warcolby said...

I love it!! I'm sure your spurned lover would be desvestated if he knew you loved him like the kids you babysat. what an awesome comparison. And the poetry-what conspiracies hide behind those emerald eyes?!! classic. love the pic too. we so would have been friends in HS.

Patsy said...

Thank you for sharing this. I love your insights and your way of writing your thoughts. I believe that you were born to psychology and understanding people's motivations.
WOW! I really love you as a person not just as my little girl. I think we could have been friends in high school too.

Kim said...

You're much braver than I am for sharing that. My high school journals are big volumes of unending mortification to my adult self. My descendants aren't going to be very impressed.