Monday, September 22, 2008

Sarah the Guinea Pig


Over the Summer we were lucky enough to take home the preschool pet, Sarah the Guinea Pig. She was about 9 years old and had been with the preschool since the beginning. We kinda wondered all summer if this might be her last year and how rough would that be for the girls if she passed while at our house. We really loved having her all summer and she seemed happy here, probably because we fed her lots of fresh dandelions and watermelon and cucumber. We were sad to take her back to school this fall but the girls said hi to her every morning when we got to school but when I got to school she looked sick, her eyes were yucky and stuff. I volunteered to take her home and call the vet to see what I could do, since the other aide is pregnant and shouldn't be handling animals. I called the vet and they said they'd have the Dr. call me back. In the mean time I cleaned her cage and wiped her face with a warm wet paper towel. She seemed better when I put her back in her cage. She wandered around a little then I went to help Ali with the computer and I heard Sarah moving around but when I went back in to check on her she was not breathing and looked dead, which she was. The vet still has not called me back 4 hours later. Alison didn't really seem to care and keeps trying to make jokes to make Lily and I feel better but Lily was just sobbing until a few minutes ago. Alison offered her special shoe box that she decorated to bury Sarah in. So I dug a hole in the back yard and we all said some nice words about how sweet Sarah was and how we love her and will miss her. Alison suggested that she could have her box back and we could see Sarah again if we buried her with her head out of the ground. We didn't do that. I buried her in the box under her favorite patch of weeds by the lemon tree. We talked about what will happen to Sara's spirit and how she's like an angel. Lily said, "but she already was an angel." Lily's right Sarah was the sweetest pet.
Lily just asked me for some chocolate chips because, "that might help her feel better" She is totally my kid!

We love you Sarah the Guinea Pig!

~Aimee

4 comments:

Veronica Bartles said...

I'm glad that Sarah was with someone who loved her when she passed on. It will be a little strange not to see Sarah at the preschool, because she's really been a fixture there for a long time. But I'm glad that you were willing to take her and make her comfortable in her last moments. You are wonderful. Give those girls an extra special hug!

SusieQ said...

I LOVE the idea of burying her with her head sticking out so you could see her again!! Allison's so smart!

Patsy said...

I am so sad. I guess I really grew to love Sarah the few days that I was there. I am glad she was with you also. Even though it doesn't seem like it, it was probably an important lesson for the girls. I think you handled it very well. How sweet of Alison to offer her special box and try to make Lily feel better. And it was good that Lily could get her feelings out by crying. I'm glad you have your blog to write the story and help get your feelings in perspective.
I love you all and I feel your grief. Love Always

Mysticnocturne said...

Ahhh you guys are the neatest family. I am glad Sarah is somewhere happy now.